Tenuta di Lilliano
The first records of Borgo di Lilliano date back to the Middle Ages. At that time it was a fortified complex comprising the Church of Santa Cristina. Lilliano suffered sieges and destruction during the wars between Siena and Florence due to its position on the border. The bottling and sale of wines began in 1958 by princess Eleonora Ruspoli Berlingieri, whose family bought the estate in 1920. Giulio and Pietro Ruspoli are the current owners.
The estate is comprised of 40 hectares spread over three vineyards; `Le Piagge` planted with Sangiovese, `Casina Sopra Strada` planted with Sangiovese and Colorino and `Vigna Catena` planted with Merlot. Most of the soil on the estate is `Alberese` marly limestone, rich in heavy stone. Consequently, it is capable of delaying and slowing down the ripening of the grapes, and this preserves their acidity and aromatic freshness. They have been using organic practices in the vineyard for the last 6 years.