Wine training the Ellis way.
Scott has a fantastic way of engaging with our staff and handling their individual needs, as staff who want to enhance their confidence around our wine list.
- Hippo Inns.
We see training as one of the key pillars of Ellis Wines and one in which we not only want to offer in a standard format, but one that can also be completely bespoke to meet your precise needs.
Our training sessions give a ‘box fresh’ take on what a wine list is all about and how your staff can use it to its full potential.
We offer 2 main levels for training your staff…
1. Vine & Grape
Intro style covering the bread and butter of wine, suited best to general bar/restaurant staff.
2. Barrel & Bottle
Aimed more towards management and covers more detail, especially around up-selling tricks, wine list creation and maximising sales. We also specialise in creating workshop style sessions that focus on specific subjects covered in more detail than the above core programmes. Such as:
• De-mystifying Wine Labels,
• Grub ’n’ Grapes Food Pairing
• Stock Rotation and Preservation Toolkit
• Virtual Vine Walk-through
Plenty of exciting stuff!
WSET accredited training courses
We are an Approved Programme Provider for WSET and can offer courses for Level 1 Award in Wines and Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits.
Please see below for an outline of each course, cost and what would be involved for each student wishing to sit each course.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
- Aimed at people new to the trade and wishing to gain a basic understanding of wines.
- Hands on introduction to wine, tasting technique and basics of food and wine pairing.
- 1 day course (9 - 5pm) with a 45 minute, 30 question multiple choice exam requiring a 70% correct to pass the exam.
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
- Aimed at people seeking a core understanding of wines
- Explores major grape varieties, an important wine regions, wines styles, key classifications and labelling terms.
- 3 day course (9 - 5pm and 9 - 12.30pm on day 3) with a one hour, 50 question multiple choice exam requiring a 55% correct to pass the exam.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
- anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level.
- You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world.
- You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
It is rare to find a supplier who provide a great service coupled with such a personal, personable and passionate attitude towards training and staff development. Scott’s sessions are something our whole team look forward to. They are informed, very accessible to all levels of knowledge, and most importantly highly enjoyable. Our guests are reaping the rewards!
Ewan Grant, Foxhills Club & Resort