Pie Week: Pear & Almond tart
It's Pie Week on the 2nd - 8th of March! Here at Ellis, we love nothing better than enjoying great food paired beautifully with one of our wines. We have a fantastic pie recipe from the lovely people at Banks Bar Bistro. We enjoyed this tart with a decadent chocolate sauce and a glass of Mira la Mar Moscatel Sherry.
200g Plain Flour
50g Caster Sugar
1 egg, beaten
Pear & Almond Filling
8 Ripe Pears peeled, cored and quartered
4 eggs (beaten)
300g ground almonds
1. Preheat oven to 190 C or Gas Mark 5
2. Begin by making the pastry. Gently rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and then add the egg to bind it all together. Sprinkle some flour on a surface and knead the pastry into a round ball. Leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the pastry to fit a 10 inch pastry ring pressing into the grooves on the side.
5. Next, for the pear and almond filling. Using 100g of butter, gently sauté the pears until slightly golden. Allow to cool.
6. Cream the remaining butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs a little at a time.
7. Fold in ground almonds.
8. Spread the almond mixture on top of the pastry and lay the pears on top.
9. Cook in the oven for 50 minutes until golden.
10. Serve with liquorice ice cream.